Site: Index >> Information >> Chemical Dictionary
|Sourcing by alphabetical listing:
Chemistry Dictionary Terminology "A"
|Chemistry Dictionary Terminology "N"
- Native State
- Refers to the occurrence of an element in an uncombined or free state in nature.
- Natural Radioactivity
- Spontaneous decomposition of an atom.
- Nernst Equation
- Corrects standard electrode potentials for nonstandard conditions.
- Net Ionic Equation
- Equation that results from canceling spectator ions and eliminating brackets from a total ionic equation.
- The reaction of an acid with a base to form a salt and water. Usually, the reaction of hydrogen ions with hydrogen ions to form water molecules.
- A neutral subatomic particle having a mass of 1.0087 amu.
- Nickel-cadmium cell (Nicad battery)
- A dry cell in which the anode is Cd, the cathode is NiO2, and the electrolyte is basic.
- A class of enzymes found in bacteria within root nodules in some plants, which catalyze reactions by which N2 molecules from the air are converted to ammonia.
- For more information see Enzymes
- Nitrogen Cycle
- The complex series of reactions by which nitrogen is slowly but continually recycled in the atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere.
- Noble Gases (Rare Gases)
- Elements of the periodic Group 0; also called rare gases; formerly called inert gases, He,Ne,Ar, Kr, Xe, Rn.
- Nodal Plane
- A region in which the probability of finding an electron is zero.
- Nonbonding Orbital
- A molecular orbital derived only from an atomic orbital of one atom; lends neither stability nor instability to a molecule or ion when populated with electrons.
- A substance whose aqueous solutions do not conduct electricity.
- Nonpolar Bond
- Covalent bond in which electron density is symmetrically distributed
- Nuclear Binding Energy
- Energy equivalent of the mass deficiency; energy released in the formation of an atom from the subatomic particles.
- Nuclear Fission
- The process in which a heavy nucleus splits into nuclei of intermediate masses and one or more protons are emitted.
- Nuclear Reaction
- Involves a change in the composition of a nucleus and can evolve or absorb an extraordinarily large amount of energy
- Nuclear Reactor
- A system in which controlled nuclear fisson reactions generate heat energy on a large scale, which is subsequently converted into electrical energy.
- Particles comprising the nucleus; protons and neutrons.
- The very small, very dense, positively charged center of an atom containing protons and neutrons, as well as other subatomic particles.
- Refers to different atomic forms of all elements in contrast to ?isotopes?, which refer only to different atomic forms of a single element.
- Nuclide Symbol
- Symbol for an atom A/Z E, in which E is the symbol of an element, Z is its atomic number, and A is its mass number.
Welcome to the Hichem.com Chemical Name Synonyms finder.
Enter any of the following options in the search box:
- a complete chemical name e.g.
- a partial name e.g. 1 chloro*,
e.g. 2 *chloride.
- a CAS number e.g. 50-00-0.
- a molecular formula e.g. C6H6.