Site: Index >> Information >> Chemical Dictionary
|Sourcing by alphabetical listing:
Chemistry Dictionary Terminology "A"
|Chemistry Dictionary Terminology "I"
- Inner Orbital Complex
- Valence bond designation for a complex in which the metal ion utilizes d orbitals for one shell inside the outermost occupied shell in its hybridization.
- Different substances that have the same formula.
- Ionization Isomers
- Isomers that result from the interchange of ions inside and outside the coordination sphere.
- Inert s-pair Effect
- Characteristic of the post-transition minerals; tendency of the outermost s electrons to remain nonionized or un shared in compounds.
- Insoluble Compound
- A very slightly soluble compound.
- For acid-base titrations, organic compounds that exhibit different colors in solutions of different acidities; used to determine the point at which reaction between two solutes is complete.
- Ionization Constant
- Equilibrium constant for the ionization of a weak electrolyte.
- Ion Product for Water
- Equilibrium constant for the ionization of water, Kw = [H3O+][OH-] =1.00 x 10-14 at 25 °C.
- Inhibitory Catalyst
- An inhibitor, a catalyst that decreases the rate of reaction.
- For more information see Catalysis
- Integrated Rate Equation
- An equation giving the concentration of a reactant remaining after a specified time; has different mathematical form for different orders of reactants.
- The breaking up of a compound into separate ions.
- Ideal Solution
- A solution that obeys Raoult's Law exactly.
- Poor electric and heat conductor.
- Intermolecular Forces
- Forces between individual particles (atoms, molecules, ions) of a substance.
- Refers to crystals having the same atomic arrangement.
- For more information see Crystallography
- Ideal Gas
- A hypothetical gas that obeys exactly all postulates of the kinetic-molecular theory.
- Ideal Gas Law
- The product of pressure and the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of the gas and the absolute temperature.
- In aqueous solution, the process in which a molecular compound reacts with water and forms ions.
- Ionic Bonding
- Chemical bonding resulting from the transfer of one or more electrons from one atom or a group of atoms to another.
- Ionic Compunds
- Compounds containing predominantly ionic bonding.
- Ionic Geometry
- The arrangement of atoms (not lone pairs of electrons) about the central atom of a polyatomic ion.
- Having the same electronic configurations
- Ionization Energy
- The minimum amount of energy required to remove the most loosely held electron of an isolated gaseous atom or ion.
- Two or more forms of atoms of the same element with different masses; atoms containing the same number of protons but different numbers of neutrons.
- An atom or a group of atoms that carries an electric charge.
Welcome to the Hichem.com Chemical Name Synonyms finder.
Enter any of the following options in the search box:
- a complete chemical name e.g.
- a partial name e.g. 1 chloro*,
e.g. 2 *chloride.
- a CAS number e.g. 50-00-0.
- a molecular formula e.g. C6H6.